At the end of every term a review of all swimmers progress will be carried out. This is the responsibility of the Head Coach and the Area Coaches. During this review the teaching groups will have sprint times and a 200 FC time analysed in order to determine suitability to move onto the next group. As the swimmers progress certain test sets will be introduced designed to assess the ability of the swimmer. Swimmers will only move if the coach is confident that the swimmer is ready for a move and will be able to cope with the new demands a new squad will offer.
A joint and of term meeting should take place between the senior coaching team and swimmers should be placed into an order of merit to put them in a logical order. This will then be cross referenced to the actual squad and lane space available throughout the club. If there is sufficient space for all movers then all shall move, if not then a quality line will be used to reflect the amount of physical spaces available.
All swimmers who are in teaching and competitive development squads from Goldfish to Sharks are to receive an end of term communication from a senior coach, this could be either one of the two area coaches or the head coach. It may be either be face to face or by email but the purpose is to ensure that all swimmers and parents are communicated with effectively in line with the clubs vision and values. The context of this communication will cover whether the swimmer has or has not reached the standard to move up to the next group. If the swimmer has not then a brief explanation of why and what needs to be improved during next term will be included. A simple tick sheet for teachers will be issued and they are to complete these and pass on to their senior coach in a timely manner before the last week of term.
The following promotion criteria applies to the teaching squads:
- Tadpoles → Shrimps
- ASA Stage 1-3
- 10m Front crawl
- 10m Backstroke
- Shrimps → Goldfish
- ASA Stage 3-4
- 25m Front crawl
- 25m Backstroke
- Idea of Breaststroke and Butterfly legs
- Goldfish → Piranhas
- ASA Stage 4-6
- 50m Front crawl
- 50m Backstroke
- 25m Breaststroke
- 12m Butterfly Kick
All Goldfish swimmers are to be able to swim efficiently without becoming excessively exhausted
- Piranhas → Stingrays
- ASA Stage 5-7
- 100m Front crawl
- 100m Backstroke
- 50m Breaststroke
- 25m butterfly Kick plus an understanding of fly arms
All Piranhas swimmers are to be able to swim efficiently without becoming excessively exhausted.
- Stingrays → Dolphins
- ASA Stage 6-8
- All Stingrays wishing to promote to Dolphins are to have a basic understanding of all turns and can perform all strokes legally
- Minimum time requirement for 200m front crawl is 4:15 or under.
- 8 x 50m FC on 1.30
- 50m front crawl kick in 1:30
- 50m Choice kick (no FC) in 1:30
- 200m Legal Backstroke & turns
- 200m Legal Breaststroke & turns
- Can reach the minimum sprint times as set out below on at least 2 strokes:
- 50m Front crawl 50 Secs
- 25m Backstroke 26 Secs
- 25m Breaststroke 32 Secs
- 25m Butterfly 28 Secs
- At this stage swimmers will also be required to train a minimum of 2 but suggested 3 times a week.
- Be willing to represent Alton & District Swimming Club at inter club Galas both home and away if selected.
- Entry into Club Championships.
- Offer parental help to the club.
The following promotion criteria applies to the competitive squads. All swimmers promoted to these squads are done so initially on an initial terms trial. Failure to uphold the standards required or attend the required sessions may result in the swimmer being move back a squad or recommended to join the Recreational Squad. An end of term review between the senior coaches will be convened to discuss this.
- Dolphins → Sharks
- ASA Stage 7+
- Full Competitive Start Award
- Ability to train at the required intensity based on the test set and coach assessment:
- Test Set
- 6 x 100m Front crawl on 2:20 holding 2:00
- 4 x 25m Butterfly on 45’
- 4 x 50m Front crawl Kick on 1:30
- 4 x 50m Choice kick (no FC) on 1:30
- In addition, can reach the minimum sprint times as set out below:
- 50m Front crawl 42 Secs
- 50m Backstroke 50 Secs
- 50m Breaststroke 60 Secs
- 25m Butterfly 24 Secs
- Achieve a 200 FC Time Trial in 3:40 or less.
- At this stage swimmers, will be required to attend a minimum of 3 training sessions a week.
- Ability to swim 400m Front crawl, 200m Backstroke, 200m Breaststroke, demonstrating efficient and legal technique.
- Work towards swimming 4 x 50m Fly repeats.
- Swim 100m IM legally, including turns.
- To be able to demonstrate aptitude and commitment to competitive swimming by :
- Entering all club championships.
- Representing Alton & District Swimming Club at inter club galas both home and away (if selected).
- Enter at least one open meet per term.
- Dolphins/Sharks → Junior County
This squad is unique and entry to it is by invitation of the Head Coach only (in discussion with the senior coaching team).
To give an opportunity for our young talented swimmers to start on the competitive pathway early enough to be able to get HCASA qualification times from 10/11 yrs. Qualify for SER regionals from age 11/12 and qualify for nationals in accordance with current age bandings.
- Squad Criteria:
Age 9-11, willing to do 5 sessions a week and want to achieve targets above but too young or not ready to join Top Squad.
At the completion of the term after the swimmers 12th birthday a decision will be made as to the next step, either going to Sharks, Sharks 2 or Top Squad depending on the development made and criteria being achieved.
- Sharks/Jun County → TS Transition
This squad is designed as a transition squad to Top Squad.
It is mainly used for the older Sharks or Junior County swimmers who need a final push in achieving any outstanding criteria required to move up to the next level. Or late joiners who are not quite strong enough or ready for Top Squad
- Squad Criteria:
- Age 12+
- Swimmers are to be able to train alongside Top Squad at a minimum of 2 x 90-minute sessions (Wednesday, Friday or Sunday) per week. They will also swim a minimum of 2 other standard Sharks sessions from either (Mon, Tue, Thu or Sun). This means swimming a minimum total of 4 sessions (5 Hours) per week in order to train hard and regularly enough in order to improve to promote accordingly.
- Must have already achieved a minimum of 2 sprint and 1 of the 200m times (either FC or IM) relevant to age.
- Must be able to maintain normal Sharks squad criteria.
Members of this squad must be competitive and are competing regularly every term.
The swimmer will either move to Recreational squad or Top Squad depending on the development gained and criteria being achieved. End of term performance reviews will determine if the swimmer remains in the squad.
- Jun County / Sharks / TS Transition →Top Squad
All swimmers promoted to Top Squad are to achieve the following criteria:
- Age 11/12+.
- Completed National Swim Award Stage 10.
- Full Competitive Start Award.
- Ability to train at the required intensity based on test sets (below) & coach assessment.
- To participate in test sets to include standard time/distance swims and training sets adapted from those used by British Swimming.
- Ability to swim 200 IM in accordance with the ASA technical rules under 3mins 20.
- Current minimum requirements – 200m F/C
- 12yrs – 2mins 55
- 13yrs – 2mins 50
- 14yrs – 2mins 45
- Proven aptitude and commitment to competitive swimming by:
- Entering ALL club championships (Over a variety of distances)
- Representing Alton Swimming Club at inter club galas both home & away (if selected)
- Compete at County Championships and other open meets as recommended by the coaching team (At least 2 Open Meet per term)
- Attendance at a recommended 5 sessions per week (minimum of 4 sessions).
- Work safely in the training lanes by using the pace clock correctly.
- The club expects swimmers in this squad to be able to swim the whole training session without getting out during the training session.
- Show the correct start and turn for each stroke during all training sessions.
- Arrive at session in time to be able to undertake warm up exercises prior to swimming.
- Offer parental help to club.
- To keep below the current minimum sprint times for all 4 strokes:
- 50m Front crawl 36 Secs
- 50m Backstroke 42 Secs
- 50m Breaststroke 50 Secs
- 25m Butterfly 45 Secs
Promotion to Top Squad should be seen as the next step on the ladder and not the end of the long line of promotions.
- TEST SET carried out in a 90 minute session.
- 600m warm up
- 10 x 100m Front crawl @ 1.55 holding the pace under 1.45
- 1 x 100m recovery
- 4 x 50m Front crawl kick @ 1.20 holding pace under 1.15
- 8 x 50m choice kick @1.20 holding the pace under 1.15
- 1 x 200m recovery
- 4 x 50m Butterfly @ 1.10 hold under ‘60
- 8 x 50m Backstroke @ 1.10 hold under ‘60
- 8 x 50m Breaststroke @ 1.15 hold under 1.05
- 1 x 100m easy
- 1 x 200m swim down